- Te Arikinui (1991, revised 2006) for tenor, strings and percussion. See here for performance by the Waikato University Orchestra (21 April 2010), conducted by Adam Maha and featuring Howard McGuire.
- Dance (2007) for piano, strings and percussion (a movement from Four Scenes). See here for performance by the Lake Superior Chamber Orchestra, Duluth, Minnesota, 2014.
- Whitiora for cello, chanting voice and orchestra. First performed by the Manukau Symphony Orchestra, Vodafone Events Centre, Manukau City, Auckland, New Zealand
- Reclamations (2008) for violin and piano. See here for performance by Lara Hall (violin) and Rafaela Garlick-Grice (piano) in 2010.
- ‘Baxter Songs’ (2010) for baritone and piano. See here for performance by Howard McGuire and Charles Royal
- Pride (2011) for baritone and piano. See here for a performance featuring Howard McGuire (baritone), Kelly Kahukiwa (saxophone) and Charles Royal (piano) at Te Papa Museum of New Zealand, Wellington, 21 October 2012
- Te Kārohirohi: The Light Dances (2010-2012), music for a dance work of the same name, in collaboration with Paddy Free with improvisations by Horomona Horo, James Webster, Al Fraser and Erina Daniels. See video here.
- E kore e mutu (2013) for SATB choir
- Ūkaipō: Our Struggles, with Love (working title), a 'play with music' (a showing of work in progress conducted in February 2014 at the whare tapere, Waimangō, Hauraki, featuring singer Ria Hall)
- Four Scenes (2007-2014) for piano, strings and percussion. Dance was completed in 2007.
- Matariki for chanting voice, taonga pūoro and orchestra. A first version performed by Reo and the Auckland Chamber Orchestra (conducted by Peter Scholes) in 2011.
- Overture Twelfth Night (1985), for small orchestra
- He Timatanga (1986), an electronic work
- Tohu: Mauriora 1998
- Tohu: Whakawhiti 2008
- Ascension and Other Stories, Songs by Charles Royal 2014, hear on Spotify here.
Mōteatea-Chanted Song Poetry
- Te Kairuirui (1993), he waiata tangi mō Rev. Māori Marsden
- Tekau mā rua rangi (1994), he waiata mō te taenga mai o ngā taonga pūoro ki Ōtaki
- E noho ana au i te koko o tōku whare (1995), he waiata tangi mō Tūkawekai Kereama
- Āio (2008), he waiata whakatau i te rangimārie
- Rangimārire (2010), he waiata whakatau i te rangimārie
- Te Take o te rākau (2010), he waiata karanga i te reo o te tangata
- I haere nei koe (2011), he waiata aroha
- Whakatau mai (2010), he haka pōwhiri
- E taku manu (2010), he haka pōwhiri